Monday, March 18, 2019

March 18 Update on bee condos with one AWESOME BEE

I checked the bee condos today at about 11:30 am
One awesome bee (see below for VIDEO) was sitting on the front of condo-2. Judging from the size
it was a female. I got a good photo and will try to publish it today.
Condo-1 has a second broken tube but I did not observe any bees loitering around the
condo-1.

The mason bee observed sitting on the front of condo-2 kept still for about 10 minutes.
It was the first time I had such a good look at a mason bee. Usually, they are so skittish that they fly away after only about 30 seconds, at most.
I called the first bee out of condo-2 by the name Fred (random type name).
The random I will give to the new awesome female is Gabriel.

Temperature is measured at 64 ⁰ F at noon today. According to the weather forecast,
the temperature my reach 69 ⁰ F.
Observing these little rascals, I can see why some people say they look like
flys. Well they do not have the body shape of flys, they do have the skittish
way of flying. I think that is partly why they don't need the stinger equipment.
No bird can catch them.
Here is the mud bucket. Basically, it is kitty litter with a reasonable amount of water.
It is just like clay so I hope it will work. The only problem may be, it does seem to
dry out rather quickly. I will need to freshen the water nearly every day.
For those interested I am using a Canon HDT-cx405.





No comments:

Post a Comment