We will see at noon how the good the tube filling work is going.
From last October's cocoon harvest , I figure the average number of
cocoons by tube is 3. While some egg laying afficaniato bees can lay
up to 8 eggs per long tube, that is really quite rare. Many capped off
tubes contain only 1 cocoon. Two is not very rare. But the average
is about 3 for all tubes. This October I plan to develop some complete
statistics.
In any case, each condo has already completed about 40 tubes. I think
based on available empty tubes, we may have 80 tubes per condo.
The would be a total of 160 tubes. That could mean about 480 cocoons.
If 60 percent are females, that would give me nearly 300 FEMALE
baby bees in March 2021.
According to Google
at end of growing season the cocoons must be cleaned
according to the following protocol
After 1 to 2 minutes, rinse for 3-4 min in cool water to get the bleach off.
I washed my cocoons last October but I don't think my protocol was exactly as above. This coming October, I will certainly use this advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment