Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April 29, 2020 Month is nearly over

Both condos have lots of filled tubes.  Condo#1 has about 40 filled and Condo#2
has about 30.
Inspecting the condos shows that typically two or three bees have their li
crazy heads sticking out of the tube.  What are they doing? resting?

I noticed one tube with a large diameter and lots of light so that I could see a yellow wall.
The old female must be out getting mud. Or maybe she is going to fetch more pollen?

Considering this is not even the end of April, I guess the bees have about two more
weeks to totally fill up both condos.

I will need to build a third condo for next year.  I hate to have my bees run out of
tubes and go to some other location.

I rarely see bees visiting blueberry flowers. I actually rarely see the mason bees visiting
any flowers.  Today I did see one mason bee on a blueberry flower. It was interesting
to see that she spent about two minutes. It appeared that she was just sucking nectar.'

According to www.masonbees.com,
"A single Mason Bee visits 20,000+ blossoms per day "
They recommend 10 bees per fruit tree.  
I think I had about 60 cocoons with emergences.  I have 12 blueberry bushes  3 pear trees,
two cherry trees.   Maybe I am a tad short this year but if my condos fill up by end of this
season, maybe I will be in good shape next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment