![]() |
| Full view of the first condo installed. The plastic keeps the condo dry in the worst rain storm, |
The first day where no frost is guaranteed in April 3.
That may be true, but I think Pi day will be pretty good.
I see a few common flies but, so far, I only saw two mason
bees on March 1.
This year I have a mix of parchment paper tubes and fresh black bamboo
tubes. I cut the bamboo from my garden. I only get about 20 new shoots
per year, so next spring I will have a problem. I estimate I need twice that
many for my two mason-bee-condos. Maybe I will need to rely on
more parchment paper.
This year none of mason bees are in tubes. In October 2019 I
took all the bamboo tubes and split them open. I carefully
put the cocoons in a basket and then washed them with a very
dilute solution of bleach and water. Then I stored them in a shaded
area on the wall of my shed. I kept them the white plastic cloth
which allows plenty of ventilation.
Just waiting for the emergence now.
I don't expect much until Albert Einstein's birthday (March 14 aka pi day).
Only 11 days now.
The Corona virus is the talk of the town. Stores which sell household supplies
are busy. The biggest think seems to be toilet paper. There is a crazy rumor
that supplies will be unavailable. I don't understand why but the hoarders are cleaning
up all packages as soon as the stores put them out.
The problem with the corona virus for people over 70 seems to be it can be fatal.
We will see. So far about 6 people have died in Washington, all over 70.
I have been trying to get my radio shack setup.
I am sure there are already enough flowers to support the first mason bees.
Photos show yellow and white daffodils, winter daphne and some crocus.
![]() |
| daffodils |
![]() |
| winter daphne shrub, flowers are extremely fragrant |
![]() |
| White daffodils with yellow centers The mason bees should be able to find plenty of nectar and pollen. |




No comments:
Post a Comment