Tuesday, May 14, 2019

May 14

Checked out the bee houses today.

Left side bamboo tubes have 24 tubes completely filled.
Right side bamboo tubes have 36 tubes completely filled.

I suspect there is a slight difference in temperature so that
the right side is very slightly cooler. ( so the left side faces west and
the front faces south.)

After 2 months of activity, there is not a single routed-wood tube filled.
While the routed tubes are recommended by many mason-bee authorities,
the bees simply avoid the routed-wood tubes.  I have seen bees hover
in front of routed-wood tubes, but they clearly reject the idea of using the
routed-wood.

Just below condo #2  is condo #1. Condo #1 uses paper tubes. No paper tubes
were used.  Also, the paper tubes were on the large side of the diameter.

As I have said in previous posts, I will be using smaller diameter dowels to
roll tubes for next year.

Today the temperatures were in the mid-50s and rain was on and off all day.



No comments:

Post a Comment