A photograph of a bunch of descendents of Swiss immigrants.
Most of these people were Mennonites. They lived all over the midwest and came together for a huge family reunion. The women in this photo were some of the best cooks in the United States at that time.
Not one of the people in this photograph had any idea that someday their likeness would be published so anyone in the world could see it.
Most of the people in this picture (if not all) came to this reunion by one of two means of transportation, 1.) horse 2.) train There were no automobiles and no airplanes.
The most important man in this photograph was John Dettweiler.
Watch the video closely. Bees sometimes enter a tube , quickly exit and then find another tube. The reason is each female has a unique odor and she cannot STAND the smell of another female. So they get confused and go into the wrong tube. The smell is terrible so she exits quickly. They appear to be quite confused regarding which is the correct tube.
If you watch a condo for awhile, you will find the behavior quite humorous.
Routed wood tubes this year. Last year they totally avoided them. In a few minutes i saw a
dozen flying around condo #1 and several entering and leaving tubes.
I don't think these bees know anything about virus problems. For sure they don't have any fear of parasites. At the end of the season I have to break open the bamboo or paper tubes and discard cocoons which have been attacked by parasites. Such cocoons must be destroyed because survival of the parasites will just cause more problems the next year.
I have much more activity this year than last year, I am optimistic , it looks like I will be able to harvest many times last year's small yield. I counted about 50 healthy cocoons.

No comments:
Post a Comment