Good activity on condo-2 today. The temperature was low to mid-60ºs. F
While only 3 bamboo tubes are filled, many bees are busy filling several tubes. One weird mason-bee flew into a huge tube hole and stayed there. I think the tube is close to a half inch in diameter.
Then, I saw a few bees squeeze themselves into 5 mm holes. I saw one bee back into her nest hole. Most bees go in head first. On the other hand, when the holes are viewed at night with a flashlight, I always see their heads.
I still see little or no activity on condo-1. The homemade tubes do not seem to attract any mason bees. Maybe by the end of May, I will see some use. Next spring the tubes in condo-1 will be better-crafted tubes. I will make them much smaller.
I think a better way to use routed out wooden trays would be to make them then insert custom made paper tubes.
I wonder if anyone has ever done a study which offers a reason why mason bees approach the nest in a very erratic fashion. Another behavior which is interesting is that often a bee will approach the nest then do a power climb. Frequently they climb 30 feet straight up. Amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment