Wednesday, March 27, 2019

March 27 installed a few "compostable" white straws

March 27
Just as a test, I installed a few "compostable" white straws

The straws seem like their made out of  plastic, but the package said the material was not plastic. Supposed to be made from compostable plant material.  I am not at all sure these straws are any good.

On the left side of condo-2, one of the bamboo tubes has been completely filled.
So as of this morning, there are two filled tubes.  There are a few bees working on
other tubes.  I am looking forward to completed holes in the removable wooden trays.
So far I have only seen activity on one hole in the removable wooden trays.
It looks like there is a third hole being used, but not nearly filled yet.
Moderate activity around condo-2 today. No activity around condo-1.

Temperatures in the mid-50s.

Put a plastic bottle filled with compostable straws on the fence today. The fence receives morning sun. It faces directly east🌞. Some people say the bee condo should face east. So  I put this up on the fence facing east. 

I went outdoors to check on the two condos after sundown.  It turns out that with the use of a flashlight I could see the faces of bees in 3 bamboo tubes. I checked the wooden trays.  I could see no bees in those holes.

It is 118 miles from Federal Way to the Canadian border.   So the activity of the mason bees here, should not be much different from Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment