Wednesday, February 27, 2019

mason bees and Bonsai Trees:
Ok today is
  Feb :27, 2019
Weather remains below 50

 Post
Musings regarding mason bee husbandry: OK today is  Feb 27, 2019 Weather remains below 5...: OK today is  Feb 27, 2019 Weather remains below 50 degrees F but...no Mason bee emergence yet. I will report the first emergence.
According to the weather statistics, the temperature on Thursday(2/28) at about 2 pm, we should see 45 degrees.  That is way short of the required 50 degrees,
I will check tomorrow.
 I checked the new tubes today and all four tubes are packed with mud right to the 
end.
I bought another bee house at Costco for about 22 dollars today.  It has replaceable bee holes.  I also sent for 24 more cocoons. We shall see how this all works.
//
additional comment
I am so happy about the mason bee house. It has three attributes which make me
very happy.
1. actually attracts bees
2. attractive ornament for the yard (I like the red roof and the bee drawings)
3. I like the little upper room. The condo has a little back door. I plan to use the upper room to put in harvested cacoons next year, just prior to 
Einstein's birthday (in 1879), 
aka day before Ides of March (in 44 BC)
 (poor ol'Ceasar  killed by Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus),
aka March 14,
aka Pi day, 
aka 3.14
oh yes 2 years after the day Stephen Hawking died
\Question: what type of pie is appropriate to eat on  Pi day  ?\
Bonsai trees
I have set up air-layers on a cedar tree and planted six cuttings. Four of the cuttings are from the San Jose juniper and two are from the cedar tree.  Some cuttings are using the growth hormone powder and some do not use the growth hormone. I am using growth hormone in the front yard pots and no growth hormone in backyard pots.  I suspect the growth hormone is a waste of money, but we will know in about 4 months when I check for root growth.

According to one web site ("eat this"), Coconut Cream pie is the best and Peanut Butter Pie is the worst for your waistline.

No comments:

Post a Comment