Saturday, May 9, 2020

May 9, 2020 First routed-wood-tray hole filled today.

For the first time a mason bee has decided to fill  up a hole
in the routed-wood-trays.   In addition, another mason bee has
been using another hole. I can tell because there is a large amount
of  yellow powder lining the entrance to the tube.

A this point there are approximately 150 tubes filled.  The bees are
taking greater interest in paper tubes. 

Popular wisdom says that a bee condo should receive morning sun.

Actually, my best bee house faces due west. It first gets sun at about
noon.  I think the morning sun idea may sound good, but in my experience
it does not work.  I think the bees want the sun from noon to sundown.
My bees are a special variety of late risers. They look at me like I am their
god. So they know I am a late riser. The good little minions and do not
want to insult the all mighty by getting up too early.

I know they know who I am because they shoot right out of the tubes
into my face. Pelting me with their shiny bodies.







No comments:

Post a Comment