Finding useful clay for the female Mason bees.
Last year I dug a few holes looking for clay-like soils. I put the
soil into an old black plastic pot. I kept the soil wet. My conclusion
was that it was not good soil for the bees.
This year I am attempting to use kitty litter. I bought some a
few days ago. I put the kitty litter into a pot and added water,
The first attempt was a failure. The added water demonstrated the
kitty litter is basically sand. That is worthless.
So today I bought more kitty litter but this time I was looking for
"clumping" kitty litter. Tomorrow I will try putting it into a pot
and adding water. I will update his post tomorrow.
Does anyone know the store and brand name for the most useful kitty litter?
If my experiment is successful I will post it here.
I bought some kitty litter. I made sure it was clumping, I added water to
the stuff in a small bucket. It does behave just like clay. The only problem is the
manufacturer put in some kind of scent. Smells very nice but I am not sure the
mason-bees will appreciate such an unnatural odor. We will see.
The kitty litter I bought clumps nicely and has a light gray color. Like I said it does
- of course , this is not an endorsement about any website or anything else :)
No comments:
Post a Comment